Thursday 29 April 2021

Flooding In St. Vincent While La Soufriere Continues To Grumble

There was another eruption of the Soufriere volcano in St. Vincent & The Grenadines today. More ash was dumped on the nation, and to make matters worse there were severe floodings on the island. I spoke to a resident there and she sent me a video of a house falling down a hillside in a landslide. More houses are precariously perch on the hillsides and if the rains continue, more could be lost..

I have climbed La Soufriere many years ago after walking along a narrow road and then I started to ascend the hill.  There were significant areas where there were plenty vegetation. I also notice some healthy looking ganja plants and we were advised to see and blind. I remember crossing a small stream and then I started to ascend the volcano. It was an unusual site climbing to the top. It looked like an innocent mountain made out of solid rock with very little vegetation.

I remember that there was a cloud over the top of the volcano so I could not see the top of the volcano. It was a beautiful site though, watching those who had progressed way ahead of the rest of us and as they reached near to the top of the volcano, it was if they were disappearing into the heavens.

When I reached the top, the volcano looked quite harmless. I just stared down at the crater below which looked like a little valley. The brave ones climbed down into the crater. I was not that brave. Just looking at the area one could not dream that this year that same area would come alive and create such a destruction in our Caribbean island of St. Vincent and The Grenadines. 

The following are still pictures and a video taken after there were flood rains in St Vincent today. 








House being washed away.


La Soufriere Volcano no longer asleep


No comments:

Most Popular Post.