Independence is just around the corner, and I decided to look back at 2018, when I chaired the Festival Song Competition. I decided to look back because it was memorable, although I had to deal with some nasty situations. At one point, I stopped going on the road shows because I got information that my life was at risk. A contestant told me that he heard a discussion in Spanish Town, where a show was being held, about how I was stopping people from 'eating a food.'
Yes, Jamaica can be a dangerous place. If it looks like you are too successful in what you do, others envy you. People will start to carry news about you and undermine you.
The great thing is that I had a great committee, and the participants were fantastic. I could not ask for a better chair than Hugh Nash. Daffodil Thompson was the interim director, and I know that the board had full confidence in her as an administrator, but her tenure was cut short.
It was great working with the staff. I did break protocol when I got directly involved in the competition, although I was a board member. I made sure to tell the staff that when they are doing their work, they are superior to me. I was welcomed with open arms. Having worked with the Tastee Talent Competition for several years, I had developed systems to deal with auditions and semifinals and also to make the judging system more efficient. I shared this experience with the staff.
I felt then that the Festival Song Competition is not just a competition but one that should encourage patriotism among the people and build excitement for the independence celebration. I was told the songs were not good, and there was talk of cancelling the Festival Song Competition, which I objected to. I believed then that we could make it work.
To get the competition going at full speed, I wrote a catchy commercial, which I voiced with Tommy Cowan. I paid for the commercial. It was a very simple commercial, but it was effective. The style and format of the commercial were subsequently used by a commercial entity. The commercial gave the competition a fantastic push start.
The media started to give significant attention to the competition, and that is where my troubles started. At that time, committee members and I participated in media interviews to promote the competition. More to come on Bark Di Trute!
Let's take a look at some of the top participants who captured the spirit of the nation in 2018. You will notice that they got significant views on YouTube. It is interesting to note who was the winner!
Prostate Cancer
Remember to have your prostate checked out by the doctor, or you might see your maker earlier than he had planned.
Please add your comments at the bottom of the blog.
______________________
![]() |
| Click Here. |
Keep abreast of the news and information in the world. Bark Di Trute, a Jamaican blog, is packed with accurate information. Click the following link and get information at your fingertips. WhatsApp link is: https://chat.whatsapp.com/C9bkP96JIN2JgHiuktY3Jj
______________________________
_________________
Subscribe Now!
Without your support, Bark Di Trute could fail to bark one day. Send your ideas, stories, and news by WhatsApp at (876) 816-5261.
You can view the blog with your computer at https://vderby.blogspot.com, and you will be able to see the various links. For example, there is a link that takes you to the calendar to see what is happening on the weekend. You can even search the site for articles. There is also a weather link, which you can use to track hurricanes.
_____________________








No comments:
Post a Comment
Blogs will be forwarded to national leaders, business leaders and others who might need to see such blogs.