Mr. Fitz Jackson and other like minds is “forget it”.
I am no member of the PSOJ but I would also reject any attempt to regulate bank fees would be a backward step in a global capitalist competitive free market they can stick to regulating JUTC fares.
The banks catch the politicians where they want them barking up the wrong tree. High interest rates and access to affordable loans are presently oppressive, debilitating and enslaving that is where they should be focusing. They have for decades allowed and encouraged banks to be engaging in interest rate gouging and profiting heavily many times on behalf of relevant governments. This talk of fees is a smokescreen and if I were a banker I would not even respond just use this blitz to trigger a marketing campaign lowering the fees and pushing up the interest rates which affect more people and push profits.
The people in Parliament themselves are not much better than any of us who neither do banking or economics and as a lay person i believe that their fee focus is a minor problem that only directly affects about 40% of the population who regularly interface with banks. Governments of the day have allowed an area complicit in fact with how the banks function through the Bank of Jamaica that set base rates that means the banks cannot realistically lend below that. Government coffers benefit from their actions through GCT and other taxes. The higher the fee the more taxes and GCT collected to fund whatever programs. Parliament should focus on doing things aimed at lowering interest rates to globally competitive rates then more of lowered fees would do the bank’s profitability trick as more people take productive loans. The excessive reliance on physical collateral is another economy stifling mercenary enslaving type of activity that holds back people with good business plans. Banks need to be modernized where banks do not become profitable through enslaving interest rates but through a multiplicity of reasonable fees and business services from bankable projects. Major banks locally some headquartered and operates in civilized economies are backward in their applied thinking but probably cannot be easily weaned from the industry of laziness “sopping up liquidity” and giving people money for doing absolutely nothing as if planning to buy the banks that lead to the ruination of the economy, banks and thousands of businesses. It is decades old government policy that has helped to fuel such backward thinking where people have gotten very wealthy from simply buying government paper in an industry of laziness. The market can regulate fees, have you seen what has happened in the mobile phone market? Bring in more banks and the market will deal with that. I have no confidence in governments that do not or ever have a reputation of getting banking right not “tax and borrow” all I would say to Mr. Fitz Jackson and other like minds is “forget it”.
Michael Spence
Bark Di Trute, the blog for Jamaicans at home and abroad. Bark Di Trute welcomes your financial support and materials submitted for publication. Please add your comments to the blogs. Comments that are libellous, abusive, or nonsensical will be deleted. This blog is about sharing information, helping others, and lobbying for a better life for us all.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Most Popular Posts.
-
It wasn’t until I watched a recent Netflix series that I realized what an achievement it is to be a multi-sport athlete. My older brother, C...
-
Mrs Olga Deere Mrs Olga Deere died on September 8. She was born on August 15, 1924. She was 102 years old. Miss Olga lived in Mendez Town,...
-
The Custos of Trelawny, the Hon. Hugh Gentles, with two of his schoolmates. It was Sunday, August 30, the day of my mother's funeral, an...
-
Clerk of the House, Collene Lowe Someone posted a clip of the parliamentary proceedings that took place yesterday, September 22, 2026, in wh...
-
Kirk Wright - Journalist I just got information from colleagues of journalist Kirk Wright that he was stabbed multiple times and he had to u...
-
Some satanic persons have been upset about things I have written on this blog. The blog is called Bark Di Trute for a reason. If you cannot ...
-
Last week I had my first experience speaking to someone who had just attempted to commit suicide in Cross Roads. What an experience it was. ...
-
I invite you to watch this Bark Di Trute Commentary, add your comments, and share it with your friends so they can add their comments also...
-
Report just coming in is that the Cuban electricity grid has collapsed. This will have serious impact on all sectors of the economy. One can...
-
I heard a news item on TVJ News this evening, September 17, 2026, reporting that a UWI professor wrote a recommendation for a Jamaican to be...
No comments:
Post a Comment
Blogs will be forwarded to national leaders, business leaders and others who might need to see such blogs.