Monday 26 September 2022

When Lemons Made Lemonade - It Was SpotOn!

Vernon Derby at Riddim FM in Kingston, Jamaica

What a day it was today. The storm went further south of Jamaica and therefore I understand that we were just affected by the outer bands. Yes rains pelted parts of the island. Cars were seen submerged in water in some areas - the Gorge was impassable. It was tempting on hearing the rain drops playing pitta patta on my roof top this morning and I was temped to pull the covers and submerged myself in a deep sleep again.

No such luck, because the taxi from El Shaddai was on time so off to Riddim FM I had to go. When I arrived at the studio I saw messages about a fire in Richmond in St. Mary. There were messages about flooding across the island, but the show must go on.

I got my first guest Mr. Winston Preddie, Principal of the May Pen High School. It took me a few tries to get him.  He talked with me about the level of indiscipline in our schools. He said that before any student comes to his school, he gives that student the rule book and if that student does not like the rules, then that student just have to find another school. We joked about his principal friend down the road whose surname is the same name given to a part of the body. Mr. Preddie contends that the girls at his friends school wear the skirts at that specific length because of his surname. Mr. Preddie's surname is Ankle so his girls know where to wear their dresses.

My next guest, Rosie Murray-Tingling - actress and broadcaster, could not be contacted. I have one hour, what do I do with it? I said to myself that I could pretend to be a politician and speak for an hour without saying anything. Better yet I could be a Bob Marley and put on a one hour show. None of these ideas seemed feasible.

I eventually got Rosie Murray-Tingling who told me that her house was flooded out. I was devasted. I don't have a show and worse yet, Rosie  was not sure that she would have a bed to sleep on tonight. I eventually convinced Rosie to come on air. Come on air she did and she talked about her house. While talking to her, I was able to give her contact information for the persons at the St. Catherine Parish Council who probably could assist her. I talked to her about dealing with those who had channeled the water through her yard.

My last guest was meteorologist Rohan Brown, He brought us up to date on the weather condition in Jamaica, and he advised us that there was another system out there close to Cape Verde. Oh yes the hurricane season has not ended. November 30 is about two months away. 

I had some hints for dealing with a thunderstorm and I shared them on air. I told my listeners about not seeking shelter under a tree nor having a bath when there is a thunderstorm.

It was a day full of limes but I ended up with glasses of lemonade. I closed the show by reading Psalm 100 and playing Sister Pat's song, 'The Lord's My Shepherd'.

It was one of those challenging days in broadcasting but I made it. Thanks to the continued support from my producer Shackera Campbell, my guests and my listeners and especially to the listener from Guyana, Darwin.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gwaan Missa D no sleep Fi di nationalist rain or shine.Riddim and information spot on everytime.

Rosina Christina Moder said...

So sorry to hear that Rosie's was flooded out!!!

Anonymous said...

Thank God we were spears the worst sorry to hear that Rosie "s was flooded out

Unknown said...

Hail up my friend...Excellent work...blessings continually Sir D.

Most Popular Post.