Wednesday 13 September 2023

FOR THOSE WHO STILL READ..... "KICKSTARTING THE BUCKET LIST: OUR CUBAN EXPERIENCE ON ARRIVAL




It’s time to kickstart the bucket list! 

I had always heard people talking about their bucket lists, but it seemed like many never actually fulfilled these self-made promises. But once I crossed over to the far side of 60, I realized that time was slipping away, and I couldn't afford to keep my dreams buried any longer. After all, I wasn't getting any younger, and who knows what ailments might be lurking around the corner, ready to disrupt my plans?

So, I made a bold decision to not only update my bucket list but to take action, one adventure at a time. I have travelled extensively in the past, but there were a few things I wanted to re-live and experience before the final chapter closed. At the top of my list was a return visit to Cuba, my fourth one to be exact. But this time, I was determined to experience it differently. No more official capacities, no entourages dictating my schedule – this time, I wanted to walk the streets, meet real people, and immerse myself in the authentic Cuban experience. And I wanted to do it with young people.

First things first – I needed to make impeccable arrangements. I decided to work with  Caribbean and Latin American travel agencies to ensure that everything was meticulously planned. I asked every question that crossed my mind, leaving no room for surprises or unexpected expenses. It had to be a smooth journey from the moment we lifted off on the Aerogaviota flight.

Our journey began with a stopover in Santiago, where we waited for other travellers on their way to Havana. It struck me during this layover that Jamaica should be fostering more tourist exchange with Cuba, our culturally rich neighbour who has shown us kindness over the years. Is our Minister of Tourism, Ed Bartlett and advisor Delano Seiveright, keeping this gem a secret? 

The airport transfer was seamless, the welcome warm, and our luggage easily accessible – except for a minor security check of my son's partner. Our coach was waiting for us, and we checked into the Copacabana with no hassle at all. Despite the language barrier, we felt like we had arrived home.

This was the moment when I regretted not remembering my Spanish, but I had actually planned to spend a few months immersed in the culture to learn the language. Is it too late? I doubt it. Once we were settled in, it was time to satisfy our appetites. The hotel restaurant had closed, but the doorman pointed us to a nearby restaurant. My dietary restriction was chicken, and the dish turned out to be not just delicious but also diabetes-friendly – no spicy food but still incredibly tasty. All four of us were not only impressed with the meals but also with the impeccable service.

Here's another suggestion for Ed Bartlett: Please send some of our Jamaican hotel workers to Cuba for training. The Cubans could teach them how to be courteous and respectful to customers. Their primary aim is to please, and we left   Solo 8, just down from the hotel, as happy elves. We headed straight for a comfortable night's rest, all excited about our upcoming 7-day stay in Havana, with a jam-packed itinerary for each day.

The adventure had just begun, and it promised to be a journey filled with unforgettable experiences, delicious food, and the warmest of welcomes from the Cuban people. It's time to cross those bucket list dreams off one by one and create lasting memories. Cuba is just the start of this thrilling chapter, and I couldn't wait to see what the rest of the journey had in store.






Editor:

The contributor, Lois Grant has dedicated her entire career to the field of communication. She began at Jamaica Broadcasting Corporation as a news editor and later co-founded Innercity Promotions. In 1990, she launched her own production and communication company, Corporate Image Productions. Her notable achievement includes spearheading the Caribbean's acclaimed Tastee Talent contest. Grant's role as Director of Communications in the Office of the Prime Minister further solidified her impact. as a communicator. Her commitment to education is evident through scholarships initiated under Corporate Image, benefiting Jamaica's top performing artists,, media professionals, educators, and esteemed individuals across various fields. She is the production representative for the prominent US network, NBC Sports. 

_________________________________

It's Just a Click

  1. Click to hear the radio advertisement promoting SpotOn, and share it with your friends.
  2. Click to join my group of supporters.
  3. Click to register your birthday, and I will mention it on air.
  4. Click to listen to Omega Radio which broadcasts at 89.1 and 89.3 FM. SpotOn with Vernon Derby is aired from 1300 to 1600 hours EST, Monday to Friday. That is 1 pm to 4 pm in Jamaica.
  5. Click to report a problem.

Notices

  • A Bark Di Trute Supporter is looking for a one-bedroom apartment to rent. 
  • A Bark Di Trute supporter has eggs for sale.
  • A Bark Di Trute supporter is looking for a house or an apartment in Eden Gardens Vineyard Town, Liguanea, off Old Hope Road, Hope Road, near New Kingston or near these areas.  If none is available the person will go further like Barbican or Havendale.
  • A Bark Di Trute supporter needs a job to work as a technical operator in a radio station or any other place where he can utilize his knowledge working with computers.


Please share this blog now?
_________________________________

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also have Cuba on my bucket list. I want to go see for myself. Tired of the propaganda being spread about that little island that has stood against the vicious USA and other countries and is still standing. Great article. Are we going to get a daily report. I'm looking forward to reading the reports.

Anonymous said...

On my bucket list too. Beautifully written. Thank you.

Most Popular Post.