Friday 26 April 2024

MANOEUVRING THE SHIFTING TIDES OF MUSIC AND CULTURE


As I sat down to work on one of my short stories today, I decided to create the perfect ambience by adding some background music to my surroundings. I turned to my son’s TV and browsed through his playlist, hoping to find something that would inspire me. Among the options, a dancehall mix by Nicki Minaj caught my eye, boasting an astonishing 1.5 billion views on the first video alone. I was taken aback by this unprecedented level of popularity, something I had never encountered during my time in the  music industry.

Intrigued, I decided to watch the video in its entirety. What unfolded before me was a spectacle of women engaging in provocative dance moves, exuding sensuality in every frame. Nicki Minaj, with her flawless dolly physique and explicit choreography, held the young audience captive with her allure.

Reflecting on the changing landscape of music and culture, I acknowledged the reality of this sexually fluid generation, where boundaries are blurred, and expressions of sexuality are diverse and unapologetic. It was evident that the music industry has evolved since my days, embracing a new era of expression and freedom.

Seeking solace in nostalgia, I switched to music from my era, indulging in the soulful melodies of artistes like Luther Vandross and other R&B legends. The lyrical elegance and refined sensibility of that era provided a stark contrast to the explicitness of contemporary music.

As I reminisced about my past involvement in the industry, particularly when I operated as  Innercity Promotions, a sense of irony washed over me. It was our pioneering efforts that laid the foundation for the global phenomenon that dancehall has become. But as the genre continues to evolve, I cannot  help but wonder about its future direction.

Will dancehall be embraced as a legitimate genre, akin to carnival celebrations that accept nudity and uninhibited revelry? Only time will tell. For now, I chose to retreat to the comfort of my era's music, leaving the pulsating rhythms of this generation to those who embrace its passion.

Nicki Minaj - Click the picture below to play the video


Contributor
Lois Grant



Lois Grant, JP, MA, BA (Hons), Dip Mass Comm, Cert. Broadcast Journalism BBC-London, is a powerhouse in the communications realm,.Known for her groundbreaking achievements as  Co-founder of Innercity Promotions, she along with her former partner, revolutionised the branding of dance hall music. In the '90s, Grant founded Corporate Image Communications and Productions, orchestrating innovative events for top brands like Tastee Limited, COK Credit Union and Jamaica National Building Society. Her influence extends to shaping political landscapes across three Caribbean islands, including Jamaica, where she served as Director of Communications in the Office of the Prime Minister (2007-2013). Though retired,, Grant continues to make waves as a consultant for esteemed entities like NBC Sports and as a travel influencer.

___________________________

Support Needed

Please assist me in distributing the blogs to as many people as possible. Create a WhatsApp broadcast list of your friends and share the blogs using your broadcast list. Show your support by sharing this blog. If you are willing to assist Bark Di Trute by sharing your expertise, volunteering to be an On The Ground Reporter or giving financial support, then send a message to 876 816-5261.

___________________________





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As a person who's stuck in the music of the sixties and seventies - to me, the most creative and productive eras in music history, l find this quite an interesting read. I can definitely relate to it. Kudos.

Most Popular Post.