I don't believe that the market value of one's assets is the best figure to use when officials are looking at what was earned and what was spent over a period. I refer to work that is done by the Integrity Commission when they are checking to see if public officials have obtained their wealth illegally.. What you need is the real cost of the assests purchased so it would be easier to ascertain if such assets were purchased from savings and/or earnings or if such assets were obtained illegally.
The fact that the market value of a house is JAD200 million does not mean that you acquired a house at the cost of JAD200 million.
For example, if I earned JAD10 annually and I purchased a house for cash for JAD4 million then one could assume that I would have been able to afford that house in one year. On the other hand, if I purchased the house for cash for JAD40 million dollars, then one would expect to see my bank balance of the previous year showing a balance of close to JAD40 million. If my bank balance is not close to that then it means that I would have needed a loan in order to purchase that house.
I am concerned that this Integrity Commission which is a good idea is fast becoming embroiled in political controversy and this will absure the real role of the Integrity Commission. The role of the Commission should not be to find out if you are rich or not nor what is the market value of your assets, but to see what you have earned, what you have spent and if everything has been done above board.
If we don't educate the public properly about the role of the Integrity Commission then it will become a political beating board and matters relating to the the Commission will become political fodder especially during elections.
Bark Di Trute, the blog for Jamaicans at home and abroad. Bark Di Trute welcomes your financial support and materials submitted for publication. Please add your comments to the blogs. Comments that are libellous, abusive, or nonsensical will be deleted. This blog is about sharing information, helping others, and lobbying for a better life for us all.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Most Popular Posts.
-
The Custos of Trelawny, the Hon. Hugh Gentles, with two of his schoolmates. It was Sunday, August 30, the day of my mother's funeral, an...
-
It wasn’t until I watched a recent Netflix series that I realized what an achievement it is to be a multi-sport athlete. My older brother, C...
-
Mrs Olga Deere Mrs Olga Deere died on September 8. She was born on August 15, 1924. She was 102 years old. Miss Olga lived in Mendez Town,...
-
Hillary Lannaman Hillary Lannaman, who worked in the media for many years, has died. Her mother was the general manager at the JBC. Hillary ...
-
Garbage On Molynes Road Why are people allowed to dump their garbage at this bus stop on Molynes Rd. This is the bus stop for Tarrant High...
-
Kirk Wright - Journalist I just got information from colleagues of journalist Kirk Wright that he was stabbed multiple times and he had to u...
-
Clerk of the House, Collene Lowe Someone posted a clip of the parliamentary proceedings that took place yesterday, September 22, 2026, in wh...
-
Dervan Malcom You will recall that the popular radio host Dervan Malcolm is no longer in the broadcasting business. Some social media creato...
-
Some satanic persons have been upset about things I have written on this blog. The blog is called Bark Di Trute for a reason. If you cannot ...
-
Mrs Zeana Smith The funeral service for Mrs Zeana Smith, the mother of Vernon Derby, editor of Bark Di Trute, will take place on Sunday, Aug...
No comments:
Post a Comment
Blogs will be forwarded to national leaders, business leaders and others who might need to see such blogs.