Thursday 26 October 2023

HESITANT TO INDULGE FROM STREET VENDORS.

Paranoia has quietly crept into my dining habits. After the disconcerting saga of Crab Alice, I've developed an irrational fear of partaking in street vendor fare.

I've always been an ardent supporter of local fruit vendors, eagerly savouring guineps with an immediacy that omitted the formality of washing. That's a thing of the past now. The fear lingers, a constant shadow over my culinary choices.

I wonder, how are street vendors grappling with the aftermath of the Crab Alice incident, or has it been relegated to the fleeting realm of nine-day wonders in Jamaica? Speaking for myself, the impact on my willingness to purchase street food is enduring. I've always held a fondness for the culinary treasures found in the nooks and crannies of our corners. Truthfully, the best cooks often hail from these humble establishments. But now, I find myself questioning the hygienic conditions of these cookshops. Who oversees their operations? Are there diligent inspectors?

I'm reminded of my time operating a restaurant. Inspectors were regular visitors, scrutinizing our operations. We were vigilant, ensuring compliance and that our staff possessed food handler's permits. But now, in a service industry that appears to be facing a steady decline, I find myself questioning the safety of dining out in Jamaica altogether.


Editor:

The contributor, Lois Grant has dedicated her entire career to the field of communication. She began at Jamaica Broadcasting Corporation as a news editor and later co-founded Innercity Promotions. In 1990, she launched her own production and communication company, Corporate Image Productions. Her notable achievement includes spearheading the Caribbean's acclaimed Tastee Talent contest. Grant's role as Director of Communications in the Office of the Prime Minister further solidified her impact. as a communicator. Her commitment to education is evident through scholarships initiated under Corporate Image, benefiting Jamaica's top-performing artists, media professionals, educators, and esteemed individuals across various fields. She is the production representative for the prominent US network, NBC Sports. 






__________________________

Jobs Available


A live-in helper needed to take care of an elderly lady in rural St. Andrew. Persons should be healthy, and mature. Preferably the person should be a Christian and from rural Jamaica. If you are interested, please send a WhatsApp message to 876 816-5261.

Places Wanted For Rent

A three-bedroom house needed to be rented for a family of three. Send a WhatsApp message to 876 816-5261 if you are interested.

It's Just a Click

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was always hesitant in what I buy on the streets, I am afraid to purchase cut fruits especially from vendors based on my experience with what I saw a male vender did with wiping his knife in his apron before cutting the melon. I almost callapsed. I do not want to eat anything on the road now.

Anonymous said...

I don't usually eat on the street. I am also hesitant in eating out too.

Most Popular Post.