Monday, 7 September 2026

Which Language Do We Speak In Jamaica?

 


There was the nine-day wonder talk about using Patois in Parliament. I said to myself, "But what is Patois?" There are so many versions of Patois being spoken these days. If we think that we will be able to use Patois as the language of the state in the near future, then we are wasting time. Some of us know how to hit the headlines. I now hear words in Patois such as 'yu done know,' 'zimi,' and 'sir' replacing 'Mr.'; young people are referred to as 'dawgs,' and the list goes on. My concern is that we have not learned to speak the English language, which is an international language. We should also be looking at more people learning Mandarin.

Today, I will be looking at how we use the English language. The easiest way to learn a language is to live it and speak it. In Jamaica, English seems to be a dying language, and we wonder why students have difficulty doing CXC English. Our political leaders, heads of organizations, and educators seem hell-bent on destroying the English language. Is it because it was the language of our colonial masters?

Let us get specific now. A few people continue to say, for example, "December 25th" rather than December 25. One can say the 25th of December. The date should be written as "Friday, December 25, 2026," which will be Christmas Day. More radio presenters are now saying the date correctly, but our educators and others continue to give us headaches when they speak.

The one that takes the cake is the use of the phrase "would have." That is now trending because it seems that many people believe that when they use that phrase, they are carrying the swing. The question is, did you do what you were supposed to do, or not?. You can say, "I would have bought more groceries if I had more money. 

Tonight on television, I heard school principals talk about 'damages' done to school buildings by Hurricane Melissa. The word should be 'damage'. The word 'damages' is used in a court of law when, for example, one takes out a civil action and sues someone for damages.

There is also the practice of saying 'aaam' after every word. God gave you two arms, so you don't need multiple 'aaams'.

I went to a church recently, and when I listened to the newly appointed pastor, I wondered if they offered him any training in speech and the English language. Words such as 'hour' had the 'h' emphasized. I nearly said hemphasized. Equipment, sheep, and baggage, for example, are not pluralized. 

Note also that some people are mixing up "prosecution" with the word "persecution."

Let me say it ad nauseam: the prime minister's wife is not the first lady of the country. It is the governor general's wife.

Students have to work with coaches, and many of these coaches have a major problem with the English language.

Please share this blog with principals of schools and also with our political leaders. We cannot tear the English language apart and then be shocked when our students cannot manage CXC English.

I encourage you to add your comments at the bottom of the blog and criticize what I have written. You should add other words or phrases that we use incorrectly.

Thanks and all the best.

______________________


_______________________

Click Here.
______________________

Keep abreast of the news and information in the world. Bark Di Trute, a Jamaican blog, is packed with accurate information. Click the following link and get information at your fingertips. WhatsApp link is: https://chat.whatsapp.com/C9bkP96JIN2JgHiuktY3Jj 

_________________



_________________

It's best to view this blog on your computer at https://vderby.blogspot.com.

_________________



_________________

Subscribe Now!

Without your support, Bark Di Trute could fail to bark one day. Send your ideas, stories, and news by WhatsApp at (876) 816-5261.

You can view the blog on your computer at https://vderby.blogspot.com, and you will be able to see the various links. For example, there is a link that takes you to the calendar to see what is happening on the weekend. You can even search the site for articles. There is also a weather link, which you can use to track hurricanes.

_____________________



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogs will be forwarded to national leaders, business leaders and others who might need to see such blogs.

Most Popular Posts.